Thursday, December 11, 2008

Blessed, blessed rain! Plus, turkeys!

Although my home, at about the 550' level, has gotten some nice rain recently, most of North Kona has been parched and brown for months. About noon today the storm that wasn't supposed to hit us (my Google weather page is still forecasting sunshine) came ashore accompanied by thunder. We've had three hours of soaking medium heavy rain, and from the radar map, it looks like a few hours more. What a blessing. Not a religious statement, just a fact. The plants are having a very good day.

On a more serious note, check out this amateur photo of a gang that roams our neighborhood at will, uprooting green onions and otherwise terrorizing the helpless citizenry:

2 comments:

Tom said...

You know, up until a couple of years ago I had no idea there were wild turkeys on the island. Then, one evening, driving on the first new section of the Saddle Road back to Hilo with a friend I saw what I thought was an emu or ostrich run across the road a few hundred yards in front of us. It ran so quickly it was hard to make out exactly what it was, but it was fast!

Gobsmacked, I had to stop, but the bird had disappeared. I didn't believe my eyes until a little more research the next day!

Anonymous said...

Looks like they are getting ready to hide for next Thanksgiving.
Aloha,
Keahi